News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

[Socotra] Breeding Thread

Started by Hajaa Nora, January 05, 2014, 01:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hajaa Nora

Breeding on Socotra Island, due to the climate, is a year round event.

Rules:

1- Breeding "seasons" start and end at the beginning and ending of each month. Breedings
     can be submitted at any time during the breeding season.

2- Stallions can be bred unlimited during seasons.

3- Mares can have 1 foal by natural birth, or 1 foal by natural birth and 1 by donor
     mare or 2 foals by donor mare, per season (even if her foal does not get registered).
     **Donor mares are only used to breed to Non-Arabian breeds.

4- An Outcross Breeding Permit is needed for each breeding to a non-Arabian
    breed.

5- You must have a donor mare to breed to a non-Arabian breed stallion
     or mare. You do not need a donor mare to breed Arabians and/or Part-Arabian
     breeds to each other.

6- Donor mares can be used unlimited during a breeding season and can be
     leased to other breeders. Donor mares can be purchased for USD or leased
     for 1M SG per breeding.

7- A Breeding Barn Stall Rental is required for each breeding.

8- Special Items must be submitted with the breeding request.
     (Arriyahib Sap, Dendrosicyos Flower, Neophron Feather, Halah Challis)

9- Breeder is allowed to register 2 foals per breeding season by regular
      registration. Breeders can purchase unlimited additional registration
      applications if they would like to claim more than the 2 foal limit per
      breeding season.

Breeding request: To submit a breeding.
[b]BREEDING REQUEST
Breeder:
Sire:
Dam:
Items Used:[/b]

Permission form: To give permission to breed to your stallion or to use your mare.
[b]PERMISSION FORM
Owner:
Horse:
Grants permission to:[/b]

Claim form: To claim a foal.
[b]CLAIM FORM:
Breeder:
Foal Description:

Transfer form: To give permission for someone else to claim your foal.
[b]TRANSFER FORM:
Breeder:
Foal Description:
Tranferring to:

ITEMS THREAD

http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=9679.msg188828#msg188828
Socotra Island

Kahlira

I am seriously trying to understand things, reading everything here and on the other thread.

I have a Straight Old Egyptian Mare.

This line confuses me, like majorly.

Quote**Horses with Straight Egyptian dams are not considered Egyptian-Related because in Arabia it is considered bad breeding practices to breed an Asil Arabian mare to an non-Arabian stallion and the mare is considered ruined.

So what would I be allowed to breed my lady to in order for my lady not to be considered ruined? Could I breed her to another straight old Egyptian stallion and she be ok, or do I have to go with a new Egyptian stallion? Or could she be bred to any of the Arabian stallions I fell in love with and the foal be pretty?

Sarah Badr

Quote from: Kahlira on January 05, 2014, 09:01:46 AM
I am seriously trying to understand things, reading everything here and on the other thread.

I have a Straight Old Egyptian Mare.

This line confuses me, like majorly.

Quote**Horses with Straight Egyptian dams are not considered Egyptian-Related because in Arabia it is considered bad breeding practices to breed an Asil Arabian mare to an non-Arabian stallion and the mare is considered ruined.

So what would I be allowed to breed my lady to in order for my lady not to be considered ruined? Could I breed her to another straight old Egyptian stallion and she be ok, or do I have to go with a new Egyptian stallion? Or could she be bred to any of the Arabian stallions I fell in love with and the foal be pretty?

It is confusing! As I am following real life breeding practices I did add that...trust me it's very confusing in real life too.

No, you can breed her to whoever you like, she's won't be ruined. That is just an Arab belief about breeding Asil/Egyptian mares to non-Arab stallions. And it's an incentive (in real life) for owners of Straight Egyptian mares to always breed them to other Straight Egyptians, since mares produce far less offspring, then stallions, in their lifetime.

Sorry 'bout that!

Breed her however you want, no problem at all.  :)

Sarah Badr

Sarah Badr

Quote from: Kahlira on January 05, 2014, 09:01:46 AM

Kahlira, If you breed Straight Old Egyptian to Straight Old Egyptian you get Straight Old Egyptian, and New to New you get New. If you breed Straight Old Egyptian to Straight New Egyptian you get Straight Egyptian.

Straight Egyptian Arabian Mare and Stallion[/b]

>

Wildfilly94

Ohh pretty!!! It'll be hard to pick who to breed! But I think I want straight Egyptian since I have none yet

Sarah Badr

Quote from: Wildfilly94 on January 05, 2014, 03:04:52 PM
Ohh pretty!!! It'll be hard to pick who to breed! But I think I want straight Egyptian since I have none yet

Imagine that! ROFL! :D

Wildfilly94

XD trying to say I have an addiction or something? Lol

Sarah Badr

Wildfilly94

Lol!
So are we allowed to post breedings at any time? Or is this just the info thread?

Sarah Badr

I guess here is as good as any. This is pretty much the only place for breeding threads right? ???

Wildfilly94

Alright, my Plotings begin!!
Quick question: will my foals grow in time to breed? Or should I wait until they grow to post a form?

Also how do we go about using a donar mare?

Hajaa Nora

Quote from: Wildfilly94 on January 05, 2014, 03:50:41 PM
Alright, my Plotings begin!!
Quick question: will my foals grow in time to breed? Or should I wait until they grow to post a form?

Also how do we go about using a donar mare?

They can't be bred until they have grown. You can submit the breedings for them, but they won't be bred until after that.

Donor mares are only for breeding to non-Arabian stallions or mares in order to get the Arab-cross breeds.
Socotra Island

Hajaa Nora

Socotra Island Stud owned Arabian stallions are free to use. And mares available for a lease fee.

http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=9711.0

I have two more to finish (will try to do that tonight) and I'm going to add any of the foals from the auction that didn't get purchased to them as well.
Socotra Island

Wildfilly94

So could I use two andalusians of yours and two of my Arabians and that would count for 2 breedings? What kinda of fees would you like for your Andy girls?

Hajaa Nora

You can breed two of your Arabians to Andalusians, for your two breedings. But you need to have a Donor mare.  I was going to have a USD auction for Donor Mares. I also still need to template the Half-Arabians (and Part-Arabians) for outcross breeding.

You need a Breeding Barn Stall Rental for each breeding request, that is 100 SG. And you need an Outcross Breeding Permit for each breeding, to breed your Arabians to the Andalusians and that costs 3000 SG. That is for you Arab mares to an Andie stud or your Arab studs to an Andie mare.
Socotra Island

Wildfilly94

Ah well I have no usd for a donor mare so I suppose I'll have to stick with my Arabian Arabian breeding.

CrystalAngelNeko

Donor mares confuse me...

I wanted to breed my mare to a andalusian... but I can't spend usd currently x.x'' or am I just confused and we can manage that without the donor mare?

Hajaa Nora

Since you can't own breeds that are not either purebred or partbred Arabian, on Socotra Island, a donor mare is required to carry the part-bred foal.

Donor mares are required when breeding to one of the non-Arabian breeds owned by Socotra Island.

And, depending on how many donor mares you own, that is how many breedings you can submit, at one time, to non-Arab breed horses.

Socotra Island

Hajaa Nora

Okay....I'm thinking, you can submit as many breedings as you want at one time. So that we can roll them and see what foals you get. Then, if you don't choose to keep and register two foals from your breeding round you can submit more breedings. Just remember that mares can only be bred one time natural cover and one time with a donor mare per season (or two times with a donor mare).
Socotra Island

BabyKittenCandy

I must admit, i love the lines, but how confusing the breeding seems is really putting me off trying to get into this more. I know you are following real life traditions here but maybe you can find a way for the rules to be simplified and not so stringent?

sera

i agree with BKC. :/  It's all very baffling right now, and i honestly don't have that much time to dedicate to figuring it out right now.  It's also really off-putting to me that the only way to get non-purebreds is through USD.  ^^;  Not that that is where my interest lies currently, but it makes me leery, especially in a new adoptable (not that i think you'll just abandon it, but my personal experience warns off joining adoptables with a strong USD emphasis right from their beginning.)

The lines are quite pretty, though, and i really love the Straight Egyptians. ^^

Hajaa Nora

Quote from: sera on January 06, 2014, 11:03:06 AM
i agree with BKC. :/  It's all very baffling right now, and i honestly don't have that much time to dedicate to figuring it out right now.  It's also really off-putting to me that the only way to get non-purebreds is through USD.  ^^;  Not that that is where my interest lies currently, but it makes me leery, especially in a new adoptable (not that i think you'll just abandon it, but my personal experience warns off joining adoptables with a strong USD emphasis right from their beginning.)

The lines are quite pretty, though, and i really love the Straight Egyptians. ^^

I agree it is kinda confusing...just getting things worked out regarding rules and such....it's confusing for me too....since all of this is new to me as well.

As for it saying it has a strong USD emphasis, I disagree. First of all, I don't consider $2 or $3  for the donor mares alot of money, and the other items that are USD are modeled after other Secundi Adoptables. This certainly isn't a big "money making scheme"....as this is the very first place I've ever participated in any kind of adoptable type thing before I just modeled mine after the rules and practices on the ones I participate in.

But if that's how everyone feels, I will refund back the whole big $4 that I've gotten, and everyone's SG and just stop this all.

My feelings are very hurt. I've been so enthusiastic and excited about all this and put so much of my time and effort, these past couple weeks, into all this......I'm really disheartened right now.

:'(
Socotra Island

BabyKittenCandy

No-one wants to hurt your feelings dear! If its confusing for you too, perhaps you can read over the rules and instead of using the same rules as they use in real life, come up with some rules of your own that are along similar lines but not as rigid?

As for the USD stuff, i will admit that so far, ive been so confused by it all that I havent even looked at that side of the adopt, but I will say that for me, I cant afford much in the way of usd at the second, but the amounts you have mentioned arent huge no.  Here is a thought? Maybe you could have a limited number of donor mares available for SG each season and the rest are for usd? And make it so that if you snag a SG mare one season, then you cant the next?

At the end of the day hun, these are only suggestions and it your adopt to run how you wish. My biggest issue with it is it is too confusing for me with how it currently seems to be set up and id love to see it simplified somehow.

Winged

I like the idea of the adoptable, just i've been too busy recently to get into a new adoptable. For me the rules are too complicated as well, and if you find them confusing too then that will probably lead to complications later down the line. For the USD stuff, i'd agree that it isn't a large amount but i wouldn't want to spend USD on a new adoptable before i've fully understood them and have really got into them. Also, as a student i don't have much USD to spend online so prefer to spend it sparingly for something one-off and special.
I'd agree with BKC that coming up with new rules of your own might work well. I also like her idea for donor mares.

I'm sure no one wanted to upset you, merely to give suggestion to help you.
Owner of Gliders!

DawnStar7

I'm not finding the rules as confusing as others, but I've been following and reading about Arabians for years.  (I'm a bit of a horse nut, and Arabians are by far my favorite).  Maybe, instead of keeping to the rigid rules and traditions of the real life Arabian breeding industry, make some minor adjustments?  For example, maybe not requiring the use of a donor mare for crossbreeds, but being able to use your own mares.  Make it so if people do that, the mare/s they breed to non Arab stallions are 'ruined' and can't be bred to Arabian studs in the future?  This option would make things easier, if people really want a crossbreed, but has consequences as well. 

I also really like the idea of a limited number of donor mares for SG sales.  If you want to make them rarer, and/or limit the number a person can purchase, and how often they can purchase one, that'd be great, because at least the option of not having to spend USD would be there for those who really can't do so.

I really hope you don't quit and give up, because I'm stupid happy about what you're doing here.  It's a new adoptable, AND a very in-depth and detailed system you've tried to set up.  It's going to take time, and even some mistakes, to fine tune everything and get it right.  Please don't be discouraged!  The lines are gorgeous, and getting better, it's a great idea, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see it reach its fullest potential. 

Wildfilly94

Okay new question..

Can I do one breeding with my purebred arabians, and then do one with one of my pure breds with your half-arab boy? Or does the second breeding HAVE to  be with a donor mare?

Also, to put in my opinions; This adoptable is very extensive and new, and you have placed alot of rules, which are fine. We will all need time to figure them all out and as you go along, you will probably change alot of things here and there to make the adoptable even better and more understandable. Every adoptable owner goes through this so don't feel upset, bad, or alone. Its a process and it will take alot of effort for everyone to figure things out.

As far as the Donor mares being sold for USD- That is fine. I don't care at all, however, I do agree that putting a few up for SG would be very nice. Even if they're 1 Mill each or higher, just having the opportunity to get them via SG would be very nice to have. It would encourage everyone to look forward to something and raise SG to get a Donor mare.
Not everyone has the ability to spend USD on here, me being one of those people right now, so an alternative to USD by any means would encourage everyone a bit more, I think.

I think everyone's just a little edgy because all the other adoptables that have been here that started immediately finding ways to get USD before the adoptable really got established  have always turned out bad in the past. The adoptable either disappears without warning, or things don't get finished, or whatever. No one is telling you NOT to sell some for USD, and I do agree, $2-$4 is very reasonable, you just should try to get that things like that can be scary for those of us that have been burned before.

No hard feelings are being aimed at you, just helpful suggestions. ^^ And don't feel obligated that you have to please every single person. We all want this adoptable to be a success and happy goodness. <3 As I said before, we will all figure this out together, slowly and understandably.

CrystalAngelNeko

BREEDING REQUEST
Breeder: CrystalAngelNeko
Sire: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/365/1/0/nestallion001_by_sarah1171-d705fy0.png
Owner: Scotra Island Stock

Dam: http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/362/5/1/oemare013_by_sarah1171-d6zqoe9.png
Owner: CrystalAngelNeko
Items Used:

Arriyahib Sap = 100,000
Breeding Barn Stall Rental = 100

BREEDING REQUEST
Sire: http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/001/5/a/a001_by_sarah1171-d70c53m.png
Owner: Socotra Island Stock

Dam:http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/362/5/1/oemare013_by_sarah1171-d6zqoe9.png
Items Used:

Outcross Breeding Permit = 3000
Donor Mare = http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/004/5/5/d006_by_sarah1171-d70uyai.png

I modified to add owners... I hope that's okay ^.^

Silvanon

Ok, so, the parts I'm finding confusing so far with the breeding is figuring out what x what makes what kind of foal, and when is it that a breeding needs a donor mare.  Is that what everyone else is confused about too?

I'm working through the rules and trying to make a spreadsheet with the above info, I'll post it for confirmation/correction/help filling it out once I'm done.

Wildfilly94

My confusion is with the donor mares and when they come in as well. Haha

DawnStar7

From what I understand, you need a donor mare to breed an Arabian mare to a non Arabian stud.  The same seems to apply to breeding a pure Arabian stallion to a non Arabian mare.  What this means is that eggs and semen are taken from the Arabians, and a fertilized egg is implanted into the donor mare.  This ensures that the pure Arabian are never sullied, or 'ruined', by intimate contact with non Arabian breeds.

I'm not sure if I made that any more understandable...lol

Wildfilly94

So... My idea for breeding my Arabian mare to a Half-Arab stud wont work then?
I'm just trying to figure out a way to get two breedings in a season without having to use a Donor, since I can't buy one. XD

Lectral

If you have more than one mare, you can do more breedings; donor mares are only needed if you are trying to breed one mare two times (or to breed to a non-arab stallion at all)

Wildfilly94

Oooohhh. Okay, I get it now! thanks for clearing that up Lectral!

Silvanon

OK, here is my Great Big Spreadsheet of Breeding Possibilities!

It should have on it every breeding possibility that's been mentioned or implied thus far for this agency.   I've filled it out with as much info as I feel relatively certain on.  Hopefully I've got the settings right so you all call can view and edit it also.  Other people who understand more than me, and especially Sarah, please help fill out the rest!  I think having that to refer to should hopefully answer most breeding questions for most people.  Thanks!

skysnolimit

Sarah Badr--don't be discouraged!  People asking you questions and giving you suggestions is a sign of how much they want this to succeed.  They don't think you're doing something wrong.  Since Secundi is so collaborative by nature, people are expressing an interest in being a part of your adoptable--not just by adopting, but by thinking with you as if it's partly their own.  Silv takes advantage of this all the time (like in the current Quinsta thread) by asking what people think.  Please don't be scared!  We still 100% understand that you're the leader in this.  I really want to see this continue and I LOVE how excited you are about it and will be brokenhearted if you stop it now!

BREEDING REQUEST
Breeder: skysnolimit
Sire: Abu Iswid (Socotra Island Stud)
Dam: Irina (SkysNoLimit Stock)
Items Used: Breeding Barn Stall Rental

Sending SG now!  :D

PS--Some people don't have much time to read through everything, but some people do.  I think, for those who do have the time, the information is very clear and you did a very good job writing it.  For those who don't have the time and energy but still want to be a part of the adoptable, they're doing their absolute best to participate and I hope you take it as a compliment ;) :)

Sarah Badr

Quote from: Silvanon on January 06, 2014, 09:53:19 PM
OK, here is my Great Big Spreadsheet of Breeding Possibilities!

It should have on it every breeding possibility that's been mentioned or implied thus far for this agency.   I've filled it out with as much info as I feel relatively certain on.  Hopefully I've got the settings right so you all call can view and edit it also.  Other people who understand more than me, and especially Sarah, please help fill out the rest!  I think having that to refer to should hopefully answer most breeding questions for most people.  Thanks!

Yes! You understand!!

Except, Mule should be Donkey...to make a Mule. And, people can try to breed their mules as well.....because sometimes (extremely, extremely rare)...mules can produce offsping.

And, no you don't need a Donor mare to breed to the Arab-Crossed breeds (i.e. Araloosa, Pintabian, Anglo-Arab, etc). You don't need a donor mare to breed you arabian to a "breed" that was produced from crossing you arabians with non-arabian breeds. As long as the horse is Arabian or from an Arab-cross breeding program, you don't need a donor mare. Only when breeding to NON-Arab breeds (i.e. Thoroughbred, Lusitano, Friesian, Appaloosa, etc).

Sarah Badr

Oh and, no mare is ruined, no matter what you breed her to. I just added that as part of the information because I knew people would wonder why a Straight Egyptian stud to a non-Egyptian mare was considered Egyptian-Related, but not a Straight Egyptian mare to a non-Egyptian stud.

It was very frustrating to me as well (in real life) when I was breeding horses. Didn't make sense at first, but then after I thought about it I understood the logic behind it. In real life a mare can, realistically, only produce around 20 offspring in her lifetime...by natural cover/breeding...so after considering that, it seemed reasonable that the Arab people and Straight Egyptian groups/registries tried to set standards to keep Straight Egyptian/Asil mares producing as many replacement (within SE and Asil) offspring as possible.

But, on Secundi, they are not ruined.....

Sarah Badr

Quote from: Sarah Badr on January 07, 2014, 06:51:31 AM
Except, Mule should be Donkey...to make a Mule.

Disregard, I see where you have Donkey.

Hajaa Nora

Quote from: CrystalAngelNeko on January 06, 2014, 06:49:02 PM
BREEDING REQUEST
Sire: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/365/1/0/nestallion001_by_sarah1171-d705fy0.png
Owner: Scotra Island Stock

Dam: http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/362/5/1/oemare013_by_sarah1171-d6zqoe9.png
Items Used:

Arriyahib Sap = 100,000

BREEDING REQUEST
Sire: http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/001/5/a/a001_by_sarah1171-d70c53m.png
Owner: Socotra Island Stock

Dam:http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/362/5/1/oemare013_by_sarah1171-d6zqoe9.png
Items Used:

Outcross Breeding Permit = 3000
Donor Mare = http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/004/5/5/d006_by_sarah1171-d70uyai.png

I modified to add owners... I hope that's okay ^.^

Breeding 1A - Straight Egyptian Arabian Colt - Brown Rabicano - Strip & Lower Lip, Left Hind Pastern, Left Front Partial Pastern, Right Front Partial Pastern, Right Hind Solid

Breeding 1B - Straight Egyptian Arabian Filly Brown Sabino Rabicano - Star, Strip & Upper Lip, Left Hind Coronet, Right Front Pastern, Left Front Partial Pastern, Right Hind Stocking

Breeding 2 - Half-Arabian Colt - Palomino - Strip & Snip, Left Hind Sock, Right Hind Partial Pastern, Left Front Solid, Right Front Stocking
Socotra Island

Hajaa Nora

Quote from: skysnolimit on January 07, 2014, 01:44:33 AM

BREEDING REQUEST
Sire: Abu Iswid (Socotra Island Stud)
Dam: Irina (SkysNoLimit Stock)
Items Used: Breeding Barn Stall Rental

Breeding 1 - Straight Egyptian Arabian Filly - Bay Rabicano - Star & Upper Lip, Right Front Partial Pastern, Right Hind Coronet, Left Front Coronet, Left Hind Pastern
Socotra Island

Hajaa Nora

Quote from: sera on January 06, 2014, 11:03:06 AM
but it makes me leery, especially in a new adoptable (not that i think you'll just abandon it, but my personal experience warns off joining adoptables with a strong USD emphasis right from their beginning.)

I just want it known that this comment is what really hurt me yesterday....especially considering the fact that I have, in the last month, paid Elenaria $70 for adoptables that I was really only required to pay $35 for. I did this to help people out and also because I appreciated (and respected) their time, effort and abilities.

And also paid sera above market price for Bonus Tickets, again, to help her out. Admittedly, I did really want those Bonus Tickets.
Socotra Island

skysnolimit

Wow, I love her!  Can't wait to see ;D  Do you have a generator for the foal descriptions, or do you have to roll each one by hand?

CLAIM FORM:
Foal Description: Breeding 1 - Straight Egyptian Arabian Filly - Bay Rabicano - Star & Upper Lip, Right Front Partial Pastern, Right Hind Coronet, Left Front Coronet, Left Hind Pastern
Items Used: Certificate of Registration

Sending SG now :)

Hajaa Nora

Quote from: skysnolimit on January 07, 2014, 09:58:57 AM
Wow, I love her!  Can't wait to see ;D  Do you have a generator for the foal descriptions, or do you have to roll each one by hand?

I've got a big ol' spread sheets of each horses genes that I put into Random.org. And Notepad pages of face markings and leg markings that I put into Random. org.
Socotra Island

skysnolimit

:o

Good for you!  I know Silv rolls hers with a generator (though I don't know how exactly it works), which you might want to think about if you're ever rolling hundreds of these at a time :)

Hajaa Nora

Quote from: skysnolimit on January 07, 2014, 09:58:57 AM

CLAIM FORM:
Foal Description: Breeding 1 - Straight Egyptian Arabian Filly - Bay Rabicano - Star & Upper Lip, Right Front Partial Pastern, Right Hind Coronet, Left Front Coronet, Left Hind Pastern
Items Used: Certificate of Registration

Sending SG now :)

Sire: Abu Iswid

Dam: Irina
Socotra Island

Silvanon

*pats*  The USD comment was sincerely nothing personal, you weren't around to experience some of the history the rest of us have been through that would have helped you put that into context.  In the past there have been some people who came, set up an adoptable that looked really exciting, and then offered their critters for almost exclusively USD.  People were excited and made strong financial investments into the adoptable, and then after a few weeks the shop owner abandoned everything and people were left high and dry with adoptables they couldn't do anything further with, or in some cases orders they paid for that didn't get fulfilled.  This has happened more than once.  Also, in addition to those scaring experiences, the fact is that running an adoption is hard work physically and emotionally, and a lot of people who try it out end up giving up on it soon after starting.  I'm not sure the exact stats, but I'd say a good half at least of the shops that start up, end up dying off within two months.

So, with that collective experience, the social norm here is that people hold off spending real money on an adoption until the owner has shown that they're going to stick with the adoptable and not abandon it soon after starting.  Along with that, most shop owners don't bother trying to sell for USD until they're more established, since they know people won't want to spend USD until that adoptable trial period is done.  It's a social norm here that I don't think anyone consciously considered that a new person wouldn't be aware of, hence why I & others failed to inform you of it, and also why the first efforts to inform you of it were clumsily worded (sorry sera, still love you <3).

Personally I think it's fine that you're wanting to sell rare things for USD, but you shouldn't get offended or discouraged when people don't buy those things for awhile, and also in order to insure the shop's success, make sure there's plenty of non-USD things for people to do in the meantime, so that the shop sees lots of activity.

Ok, now I'm going to go look at the spreadsheet and start asking my questions.  XD

Hajaa Nora

Quote from: Silvanon on January 07, 2014, 11:35:20 AM
It's a social norm here that I don't think anyone consciously considered that a new person wouldn't be aware of, hence why I & others failed to inform you of it, and also why the first efforts to inform you of it were clumsily worded (sorry sera, still love you <3).

Personally I think it's fine that you're wanting to sell rare things for USD, but you shouldn't get offended or discouraged when people don't buy those things for awhile, and also in order to insure the shop's success, make sure there's plenty of non-USD things for people to do in the meantime, so that the shop sees lots of activity.

Ok, now I'm going to go look at the spreadsheet and start asking my questions.  XD

I'm not discouraged that people don't buy them, frankly haven't been at it long enough to get offended that they haven't.  And, there are only like 4 items that are USD: donor mares, additional registration (if you want to claim more than the 2 foal limit), Farm Brand (if you want your own brand put on the foals you have bred...which is a one time fee) and Mutation Markings.

I think the idea about having limited donor mares for high SG and then the rest for USD is a good idea.

Now to your spread sheet...by doing that you've brought up something I hadn't considered....for example breeding Anglos to say Appaloosas....in real life Anglos can't have Appy markings...but I guess we can figure up how it can work that you can breed different markings into different breeds (excluding purebred Arabians).

Thanks everyone.

Socotra Island

Silvanon

XD  Yeah, all those funny possibilities that no one in real life would do, but you totally know some adoptable owner is going to try. 

Thanks for filling out all the donor mare yes/no info on the spreadsheet!  There's lots of both "yes" and "no" on there, but it looks like pretty much once someone has started a strain and people start owning their own stock of that blood, then donor mares aren't an issue.  That's good info and helps give hope to those that can't afford the USD.  I'm still very much curious to see all the rest of the foal possibilities filled out, but hopefully at this point at least all the currently possible breedings have full answers people can look up.

Hajaa Nora

Quote from: Silvanon on January 07, 2014, 12:02:38 PM
I'm still very much curious to see all the rest of the foal possibilities filled out, but hopefully at this point at least all the currently possible breedings have full answers people can look up.

Yeah I know.....I'm going to have to sit down on those and decide the %s of WHAT will produce WHAT..... ;D I can see a migraine in the very near future!

Donor mares are only necessary when you breed to Socotra owned; Thoroughbreds, Shagyas, Pinto/Paints, Appaloosa, Morgan, Welsh, American Saddlebred, Andalusian, Lusitano, Friesian, American Warmblood, Trakehner or Donkey.
Socotra Island