News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Run Away! Taru's Trying Horse Genetics!

Started by Taruia, July 23, 2010, 07:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taruia

Yeah, so this is probably gonna be bad, but here goes nothing. I love my Quins, yep yep, but I also want a varied colorful bunch, so I need to understand genes a little better I think. Good thing I only have 5 right now lol!

Hyrun'palert

E? aa cc rr dd gg ww ll ?? Tt oo ?? ?? zz ??

Luestin'donna

ee At? cc rr dd gg ww ll ?? T? oo ?? F? Z? ??
(She had a silver dapple foal with Hyrun and a red dun foal with Astris)

Verin'patres

Ee Ata cc rr dd gg ww ll ?? T? oo P? ?? Zz ??

Llanaisfa'polca

ee ?? cc rr Dd gg ww ll ?? Tt oo ?? Ff ?z ??
(Her dad was Astris and her mom was Lustin)

Palres'liath

E? At? cc rr dd gg ww ll ?? Tt oo ?p ?? Zz ??
(Her dad was Glory's Sounding and her mom was Verin)

Nathe'donsir

ee At? cc rr dd gg ww ll ?? tt oo ?? ff Z? ??

So how far am I off? And is there more I can know from the breedings? Thanks so much guys you are the best!

Reality is only for those who lack imagination.

red_uni387

wow Taru, you've already got a varied colorful bunch lol

E? aa cc rr dd gg ww ll ?? T? oo ?? ?? zz ??

ee At? cc rr dd gg ww ll ?? T? oo ?? F? Z? ??

Ee Ata cc rr dd gg ww ll ?? T? oo ?? ?? Zz ??
Since At is from her mother, a has to come from her father. Her mother is chestnut and has no flaxen, she also has F

For the first three, since they're all related and owned by you it was easier to figure out
So you're on the right track, but don't forget to try and fill in pieces like you did with the Zz for Verin :)

Taruia

Well her mom could be Ff, in which case if her dad is ff, she could be ff, as she's a brown and wouldn't show flaxen right? Or am I totally off here?

red_uni387

oohh no you're right, I didn't think of that!

Keilin Alyr

I'm gonna echo red_uni in saying you've definitely got yourself a varied and colorful bunch already! =D I'll admit, I've gotten more confident in tracing horse genetics, but I'm still fairly new and may have messed one or two things up. But here's what I've gathered:

Hyrun'palert:       aa E- cc rr dd gg ww ll (--) T- oo (--) -- zz --

If you could find a solid flaxen chestnut mare, you might be in luck if he's Ee, as you could test for flaxen as well in one breeding. Also, if he throws a solid-colored foal, you know he's Tt.

Now that I think about it, my Yen'mira is essentially a flaxen chestnut underneath the dun. You're welcome to breed Hyrun with her next season if you'd like. In case the foal isn't chestnut, I'd love to test if she's Ata or aa underneath that red coat. =)

Luestin'donna:       -At- ee cc rr dd gg ww ll (--) T- oo (--) F- Z- --

Don't mind my weird shorthand when it comes to known snippet but unknown positioning. It just means either -At or At- and I'm too lazy to copy-paste twice. XD

I'd be a little reluctant to declare her At-, since there is a possibility she's an AAt bay. If you could find a solid black stallion, you could test both her agouti and her full tobiano status in one breeding. Also, a flaxen chestnut stallion would be helpful as well. Never know if she could be hiding flaxen. =)

Verin'patres:         Ata Ee cc rr dd gg ww ll (--) T- oo (--) -- Zz --

Taking what we know of both parents above, here's what we've got. I see you've found yourself a splash stallion to test for her overo status, I'd keep breeding her to Glory personally. Anything you learn about her parents will benefit her genetic code as well.

Actually I've planned for a few breedings from Glory myself. Overo vanners are so rare.

Llanaisfa'polca:      -At- ee cc rr Dd gg ww ll (--) Tt oo (--) F- -z --

Hey, I own her half-sister! =) But this is what I know about Astris:
AtAt Ee cc rr Dd gg ww ll (--) tt oo (--) -f zz --

After 10 foals, I've never seen Astris throw a black or blue, so I'm mostly confident in declaring him AtAt. Mostly. I think I'll be more confident after August, but that's neither here nor there. =)

Remember that anything you learn about Luestin will help out Llanaisfa, particularly the agouti and flaxen traits. Testing Llanaisfa's agouti would be my first priority, just so any future breedings aren't a surprise.

Palres'liath:         At- E- cc rr dd gg ww ll (--) Tt oo (-p) -- Zz --

This is what I know of Glory's Sounding:
AAt E- cc rr dd gg ww ll (--) tt Oo (pp) -- zz --

Since she could inherit -a from her mother, my first priority would be figuring out her agouti. A black tobiano would work, since you know her tobiano status. I know tobianos are far easier to find.

By the by, Palres is probably my favorite of your stables. Her colors are so pretty. =)

No longer has zombie eyeballs. May still have a craving for brains, as there's no intelligence or sanity left in hers. XD

Taruia

Thanks Keilin, but I did breed Luestin to a black tobiano, and they produced Verin. Does that change anything?

Keilin Alyr

It can take a few breedings to fully reveal an unknown trait, especially if you're starting from scratch and know nothing, like agouti on a wild chestnut or flaxen on a wild non-chestnut. The first breeding will only reveal one piece of the puzzle for one parent.

Your first breeding established that Luestin carries brown, but Verin still inherited -a from her father. Breeding Luestin again to a black may reveal a black foal (Ata), a bay foal (AAt), or another brown, which could mean AtAt. Though it could still mean she's Ata or AAt and stubbornly refusing to show it. Sometimes you have to breed quite a few times just to make sure.

Traits where you do know a little bit beforehand, like Luestin and Hyrun's full tobiano status, are a bit easier. The first time they produce a solid foal with another solid parent, you know your tobiano is Tt. Of course, it can take a few breedings to be fully convinced if you have TT, which may be a pain for a mare. XD

No longer has zombie eyeballs. May still have a craving for brains, as there's no intelligence or sanity left in hers. XD